Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The World's Largest Pipe Organ

My brother and I have often talked about the new Marlins baseball stadium (if it ever gets built) and what unique attraction it should have. Every new baseball stadium these days has something that has never seen before. Camden Yards in Baltimore was the first new park to be modeled more retro style rather than modern or simple. Minute Maid Park in Houston built a hill in centerfield between the warning track and the wall and the flag pole is also on the hill. (side note: I just realized how bizarre that would have been when whoever thought of that had to suggest it to the higher-ups). It also has a train track beyond the left field seats. Speaking of left field seats, in Milwaukee, there is a long spiral slide that the mascot slides down after every Brewer home run.

Anyway, our idea for the Marlins park is to build the world's largest pipe organ right beyond the center field fence for the stadium organist. The stadium organist is becoming a lost art these days when batters and pitchers have cued entrance music (which usually sucks) and other football style stadium anthems are played during breaks in action. It's a travesty. There is nothing better at a ballgame than seeing the opposing pitcher go to a 3-0 count and hearing the organ player start the slow chromatic theme before the familiar "Charge!" I know, logistics would be an issue. This idea is only 50% sincere, but it would be amazing.

So last night when I'm checking my latest YouTube subcriptions, what is the first video listed? "The World's Biggest Pipe Organ" from CBS. I chuckled and immediately hit play. Basicallly there is a Macy's in Philadelphia where the organ was built into the building when it was built (redundant?). Take a look...



It's pretty cool actually, and I'm sure the video doesn't do justice to what it's like to hear a massive pipe organ like that. It rumbles your insides. It's awesome. I don't think the Marlins are on the same wavelength as my brother and I but at least now I know where to go if I did want to hear the biggest pipe organ in the world. Do you think that virtuoso can play me some "Take Me Out to the Ballgame?"

Update: Here is another they video they posted...

No comments: